Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Franny's Housecoat

Franny is finally clothed!  I was sewing until midnight last night.  It seems my teaching/pattern writing/show schedule has taken over!  The only sewing time I have is late at night now.  Then when I'm done sewing, I MIGHT clean the house.  (We're going to be condemned soon, I really need to clean.)

So Franny is dressed up in her housecoat now.  What a fabulous tutorial!  It was originally written for the big KitchenAid, the Pro.  I have the little one, Artisan, so I took my tape measure and just kind of eyed it to see what changes I needed to make to the tutorial measurements.  I decided not to change it much, just a couple inches all the way around.  Turns out, I could've brought the measurements down a little more but I'm so completely happy with it.  The tutorial is also written to insert the small KitchenAid Mixer block and remember I increased the size of mine to 12" finished.  So I just needed to do a little math to account for the larger block.

Of course, the block is done in Amy Butler's Gypsy Caravan.  I am slowly redecorating the kitchen in this line!  The solid I used is Amy Butler's Quilting Solid in Banana.  I was hoping for better light but I'm teaching at the quilt shop this morning and need to get myself ready!  It almost looks fluorescent in these pictures but I assure you, it's kind of a soft yellowy lime-greeny color.  (Yes those are all words in my vocabulary.)

This is Franny!  We made Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownies last night.  Yuuuummy!

Here's the tutorial on Sew-Ichigo and Sew Take A Hike:



See how the sample above hangs a little above the counter?  Mine doesn't do that but that's okay.  I still love it.  It's lined too!  Now, I did make the label but I left it blank for now.  I'm going to put "Franny" there but I want to find some cool "vintage-y" stamps to do her name.  I have an ink pad for fabric, kind of an antique sienna brown color, that will be perfect. 





I also wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading all of your comments in our giveaway post!  You all inspire me!  The fearlessness!  The creativity!  This is why I love doing this blog!  You all keep me going!  Good luck in the giveaway!  Remember, we have TWO patterns up for grabs!  And go over to the Sew Take A Hike blog to enter to win a gift certificate from us!

I'll see you soon!  We have a really cool project we are working on!  I'll give you a clue,
Mod Podge!!

6 comments:

Jennie P. said...

I didn't know there was an ink pad that you could use on fabric. Do you mind if I ask the brand/name of it? Thanks! Cute cover too! I need to make one badly for my mixer.

A Joyful Soul Fabrics said...

Good Morning! Yes, I found this at the show we were vending at last month. It's used to stamp shapes on fabrics for English Paper Piecing, instead of using the little papers, you just stamp shapes onto the back of your fabrics and you won't have to baste your pieces onto paper anymore. I haven't tried it yet, I've only ever used paper but I thought it would be worth a shot! She also sold the stamp pads there.

This is called "...By Kate...", "Multi-purpose Craft Pad for Fabric, made by Stewart Superior Corp." Color is "Burnt Brass".

The back label says, "This stamp pad is specially formulated for stamping and stenciling permanently on fabric and many other porous surfaces."

I bought it from Stamps by Kate. You might be able to google her!

Cherie said...

That is such a great looking cover! Loving the pieced mixing bowl =D

I'm hosting a new swap over at my blog if anyone is interested please pop over for a look =D

http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/p/goodie-bag-swap.html

Josie McRazie said...

personally I think it is more a yellowy limy-greenish colour! But I love it!! My Daughter's favorite colour is yellow and she has kind of brought me on board! (BTW they MUST be words my spell check does NOT underline them! LOL)

sewtakeahike said...

Joy I had to laugh at your title! I couldn't figure out at first what it had to do with a KA cover and then it hit me that you had named your KA "Franny"! LOL! I love it!! I'd love to see a shot of your kitchen once you get it more of where you'd like it to be with your redecorating!

A Joyful Soul Fabrics said...

That's okay...my stupid humor is lost on most people. I told you I was a kook!