Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Toying Around

I love the thought of handmade toys for children.  What better way to tell a little one how much they are loved than to make them a special friend or play item.  I think Heather Bailey got me started on this.  I absolutely love her Happy Stacker pattern.  We have this in our booth at shows and it always gets so much attention.  We've had our current toy samples for a while so the Chief thought it was time to find some new patterns to freshen up our kids corner!  Yes, I'm giving him credit where credit is due.  He did the research and was immediately smitten with Freddie's Friends!  Perhaps our booth was just a little TOO girly for him and he felt the need to offer some cool friends for the boys!  He decided on Lee Lee the Lion and Ronny the Robot.  (I added Olive because what booth is complete without an Owl?)




These patterns are very straight forward and detailed!  I have to admit, I was a bit overwhelmed at first.  I started with Lee Lee and if you'll notice, there are a LOT of little pieces there.  All through the instructions, you need to temporarily affix your pieces with pins and then sew.  I'm not used to working with such small pieces and you all know, pins and I do not get along.  I solved this by using the fabric glue stick by Sewline.  Worked like a charm!  I even affixed pieces with the glue stick and returned the next day and they were all still in place!  These cuties are put together with all raw edges exposed.  Remember Raggedy Ann?  This is the new version of the "rag doll".  The more use and washing it gets, the more those edges are going to rag up.  I imagine you might need to trim some threads after a few washings but no big deal!  I can't wait to wash ours a few times to see how cute they'll look with a bit of ragged edges!  I love the personality these toys take on.  There are several individually stuffed pieces that create a beautiful 3-Dimensional texture.  This project would be a great way to involve your little one as well.  Why not let them pick the fabrics?  It will be their own creation!  These patterns were very quick to complete.  In the pattern she suggests changing threads to match each fabric.  I didn't for Lee Lee.  I thought he turned out great.  I did change threads on Olive (only three colors) and I like it too!  It's really your choice.  If you want to spend a little extra effort to match fabrics, go for it!  I'm a "gitterdone" kinda girl!  Another tip, navigating those curves was much easier when I shortened the length of my stitch.  To see more of Freddie's Friends, check out their blog:




Here are our samples!  If you're in Dallas, Texas next weekend, come by and check them out in person at the Dallas Quilt Celebration 2012, March 9-11!  We're in Booth 68-69!



2 comments:

Debi said...

Very cute patterns, I will look for you both on Friday when I am at the show@!

Jan said...

I just came across your blog and really like it! I hope to find you at the show in Dallas on Saturday! Your patterns are cute!