Wednesday, February 9, 2011

32 Degrees, Quiche and a Little Sewing!

It's cold. I know, I know. A lot of you reading this are in negative 40 degree wind chills. I'm from San Diego. I don't ever remember it getting under 50 degrees when I was growing up. (I'm sure it did, but I don't remember.) Now, since then, I've lived all over the place thanks to the U.S. Navy and have experienced all forms of weather this great country has to offer. I was tickled when the Navy decided we would be in San Antonio for our last active duty tour. I wasn't planning on moving again. The weather is warm and more like what I grew up with in the inland valley of San Diego. So why in the WORLD was I not able to open my car door this morning from the ice!? And, we actually had a snow day last week. Not a huge amount of snow but it was enough to shut the entire city down. No school, no work. I took advantage of it and had them both wrapping quilt kits and folding fat quarters! I suppose I could look at the bright side. In an effort to keep my feet and hands from turning blue, I've cleaned this house from top to bottom and boy have I done some sewing! Not to mention a little baking which I'll get into later.



I was thrilled to finally get the rest of the Kaffe Fassett fabric to finish up my Yellow Diamonds Quilt Kit. I've also been working on filming a quick video tutorial on this kit. The pattern states it's for an intermediate sewer. I can see where they would say that but honestly, with your basic quilting skills and a little confidence, this pattern is not difficult at all! I figured, if I did a little video showing some hands-on piecing of this top, someone who really wanted to attempt it but wasn't real sure of the skill level, would see it truly is simple and what a beautiful end product! I just love this quilt and am trying to get my husband to approve it for our bed. It's a bit bright and flowery and he likes his ho-hum blue comforter with absolutely nothing special about it. I'm going to win this one.


In addition to the Kaffe Fassett fabric arriving, the Anna Maria Horner fabric arrived too! It's been a GREAT week! We are using her Love Letters Quilt Pattern to kit this up. I love this fabric. It's funky and cool and I think will appeal to the sewer who likes the retro type look but maybe isn't into the vivid bright colors. This one has a lot of plum and dark red with a burnt tangerine mixed with that girly pink and even a flax or goldenrod. The combination is sophisticated yet still fun. This quilt pattern calls for a bunch of squares of varying sizes and is easy to piece. It's a nice lap size at 60 inches square.



Okay, so I'm sewing and cleaning and trying to keep warm and what's warmer and more comforting than baking? I seriously lack domestic skills. I'm not a great housekeeper and my cooking skills leave very little to be desired. My husband certainly married me for my looks because I stink in the kitchen. I'll tackle some baking though which isn't great for my girlish figure but it's all in moderation, right? I've been dreaming of quiche recently so I decided to tackle one on my own. I took a recipe I had and altered it A LOT so I wouldn't have to go back out in this weather. I think it turned out great and wanted to share my kitchen victory with you! After all, I have so few! I would shout it from the rooftops if it wasn't so blasted cold up there.


Here goes:



Bake a deep dish pie crust at 425 degrees for 5 minutes. Take it out and let it cool.



Sprinkle 1 cup of diced smoked ham and 2/3 cups Monterrey jack cheese in the bottom of the crust. Mix together 4 eggs beaten, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup milk, 1 small can diced green chilies, and some pepper. Keep in mind, I didn't really use measuring cups so these are all estimates but pretty good ones!



Pour the egg mixture over the ham and cheese in the crust. Place in oven at 350 degrees and bake for one hour plus 10 minutes.







I garnished mine with avocado because everything is better with a little avocado! Yummmmm!







I hope you are warm wherever you are and if you're hoarding the sunshine in your neck of the woods, GIVE IT BACK! Please!

3 comments:

Sew Donna said...

the quiche looks fantastic! And the fabrics look pretty yummy too.

thismamasews said...

Hola! I'm in SA also and just found you on Twitter through another sewer/quilter. (Have you noticed that "sewer" as in "she who sews" is the same as "sewer" as in, well, you know!) Anyhoo, just wanted to say "hi" and intro myself.

A Joyful Soul Fabrics said...

Sorry it's taken so long to say Hi back!! I never noticed the "sewer" thing before! Perhaps that's why "sewist" was all over Market last year!! Love your blog! Looks like we have a bunch in common! Thanks for the welcome! We're loving it here!