Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Show and Tell Time!

Yes, finally, pictures of my rag quilt. I have finally put it down long enough to photograph it. I was watching my daily Golden Girls episode this morning all wrapped up with my cup of coffee with Pumpkin Spice Creamer. It just doesn't get any better than that!



This is made from Amy Butler's new flannel line. The prints are from her LOVE collection. You can find it all at www.ajoyfulsoulfabrics.com. I used the warm colorway, Heart, on the ragged side.




I love the way this flannel ragged. Just one cycle in the washing machine and it softened right up. So pretty. I used the spring scissors by Fiskar and saved my thumb from massive bruising! Those things are worth their weight in gold!
A rag quilt is very simple. Just make mini-quilt sandwiches. Your choice of square size (I usually don't go over 10"), place wrong sides together with a piece of batting in between (the batting square needs to be one inch smaller than your flannel square). With all three pieces together, sew an "X" through your layers. Once all of your squares have been "X"d, lay out your preferred design and start sewing your squares together to form rows. Using a 1/2" seam allowance, sew your squares together back side to back side so the seams are on the front of your quilt. Once your squares are sewn together in rows, sew your rows together then sew a 1/2" in from the edge all the way around the quilt. Once everything is sewn together, snip into your seam allowance about every 1/4 ". BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO SNIP INTO YOUR STITCHES OR THE WHOLE THING WILL FALL APART WHEN WASHED! Toss the quilt in the washer and dryer, (clean your lint trap a couple times during the dry cycle!!) and you have a new woobie!!

I used the cool colors, Soul, on the back. The back will be smooth as all of the seams have been sewn to the front. SEE!? SO EASY!! Make one for yourself! It's getting cold! You need one!












2 comments:

paige said...

I purchased this kit at the Dallas Quilt Show last week. I made the quilt two days after the show. I am mailing it to my sister today for her birthday. She is going to flip, the colors are so amazing and the quilt is so incrediable soft. I now understand why people purchase kits, first kit I ever purchased-my quilt looks EXACTLY like the one on display in your booth and the pics you have here! No color guess work! Thank you so much for this amazing design and fabric choices!

A Joyful Soul Fabrics said...

Paige, I am so happy you loved the kit and I am IMPRESSED that it is already in the mail to your sister!! Wow! What a gift! She will cherish it! Thanks for stopping by my booth! I hope to see you again next year!