Sunday, August 2, 2009

Domestic Goddess Review

Hi Friends!



It's been a busy few weeks but I've finished the third apron from Amy Butler's Domestic Goddess Aprons Pattern. I love to review her patterns. I always find it helpful to read "Real People" reviews before I attempt to tackle a project. I don't get paid by her studio so you'll get honest opinions from me. So, here goes:




Project One

Half Apron




The Half Apron was a blast. My sister requested an apron so I thought this would be a great time to test out the half apron. She chose the fabrics (LOVE them!) and I went for it. This was a super easy pattern to follow. It comes in 3 lengths. I made it at the Mid length but I think I would have been fine with the short length. My sister and I are both tall so I wanted to make sure it would have good coverage but in my opinion, it was too long. Not sure what Robin thinks. Hey, Robin, if you're reading this, comment on what you think about the length. The Apron requires some pleating across the front. Amy's directions for pleats are super easy so no issues there. The way the waistband goes on was really cool. Great directions, easy to follow. It also gives you an option for long or short ties. According to the picture on the cover, the long ties should wrap all the way around your waist and tie in front so this is what I opted for. Well, Amy used one of her super skinny friends as a model so it is a bit misleading as to how much tie you actually have hanging. I am a size 14/16 and was able to tie at the front with a bit to spare. Certainly not as much as the model on the cover! But that's okay! It still works. If you want more to hang and you are my size or larger, it would not be a problem to just add some inches to the ties. (You might need to add enough yardage to account for the length.) Easy!


Project Two
Pleated Full Apron




While a little more time consuming than the half apron, the pleated apron was just as easy. A few more pleats since you are pleating the front bodice as well as the bodice lining but it all went together very easily. The one thing I will change on this one for the next time? I am going to add a few more inches to the bodice length. This will also require my adding inches to the bodice sides. It would be really cool if these instructions were included in the pattern but most of these patterns are made with an average height woman in mind. I am a few inches over average....every woman in my family is. This apron, however, was made for a friend who just turned 40 and happens to be vertically challenged, so there! A perfect fit! This is the shortest length option. I think I prefer this length vs. the mid length.





Project Three

Split Bodice Full Apron




(This one is mine!)

Again, easy to follow instructions and a quick project. This bodice has a drawstring neckline and when I make another one for myself (my goal is to have one for every day of the week!) I will definitely add a few more inches to the bodice. As you can see, it needs to be just a little longer to look right. I might also pull the bodice sides all the way to the end of the apron sides. I don't know, I might like it with "fuller coverage". Don't get me wrong, I love this apron! Super cute!

In my opinion, this would be a great pattern for all levels of sewers. Don't let the pleats or waistline scare you. The instructions are so easy to follow! I especially love that now that I have made all three, the pattern will be easy to adjust to account for my height. I love being tall but it does make it hard to sew for myself with my limited garment sewing history!

***** 5 Fabulous Stars...Again! *****

As usual, if any of you are in the middle of a pattern or project and need just a little help to get you through, please email me! I love to help people complete their projects and if I don't know the answer, I'll find out for you! Also, if there is a pattern that you want me to try out, let me know!

~~A Little Shop News~~

We will be participating in the Fab Shop Network Summer Blowout Sale this month. I will have some super crazy prices on some of our project kits and fabrics. Click on the link for my web site to check it out. This sale starts August 17 and ends August 21. It's a short one so check out the store fast! I'll blog and give you the link the day before the sale starts. Sign up for my blog updates and you'll receive an email to remind you.

NOW,

GO SEW SOMETHING!!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Joy, I love the fabrics you chose for the half apron. Of course you know how much I like Heather Bailey's stuff. I agree that I think the shorter one would be better. I guess it depends on how messy you are!!
Kathy
The Enchanted Quilt
www.theenchantedquilt.com

alissa211 said...

Thanks for your apron pattern reviews and tips! I just bought the Domestic Goddess pattern tonight and your tips will be helpful!

A Joyful Soul Fabrics said...

You're welcome! Have fun! I really loved this pattern. Anything I can get done in an afternoon is good with me! When you are done, send me pictures and I'll post them!

Portia said...

Have you made another apron with the changes you planned for view 3? I agree that the bodice should be a lil longer and wider (full coverage).

A Joyful Soul Fabrics said...

Portia, so funny you should ask this today! I just finished a second split bodice to display in my booth next weekend. I did not do the changes I wanted but was thinking about it the whole time! I tried it on and boy, after the 10 pounds I've gained in my "cup area", the extra coverage would have been great! But this one will be on a skinny mannequin! It would be so easy to make this part bigger. Just add a few inches to the bottom and even make the bodice pieces wider. The way the apron goes together, you could do just about anything you wanted to the bodice pieces, you have that extra 5 inches on each side to play with. So doing this next time! I may even take this one apart after the show and "upgrade" the bodice!