Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"There's no place like home!"


I don't own any ruby slippers but we are home now. I can't tell you how good that feels to say that! We've been on the road for 3 weeks and now, I can relax for a few weeks until the next road trip. I love doing these shows but there is nothing like your own surroundings, your own bed and your own sewing studio!! After the past 4 shows, I haven't been able to sew much but I have a list of projects now! The Dallas Quilt Celebration was AMAZING! I know, that's just not a sufficient word, but with my brain nearly melting out one ear, that's all I can muster right now. Our booth was wall to wall people, literally all day long, the quilts were superb. The people were delightful. The whole experience was just FANTABULOUS. (I'm a geek, I know.) We were slammed the whole time. There was no time to eat but I managed to do some shopping (thanks to my Aunt who relieved me for a few minutes). Friday was crazy busy. It was just John and me working and I felt like I had a rotary cutter for a hand! I was so pleased that everyone loved Amy's fabrics. We were one of the brightest booths there and were told that several times. We do need a bigger booth! Next year! Saturday was even busier but we were blessed with Lori of Texas Twister Quilts who drove all the way to Dallas to help us. With the three of us, we were all able to get something to eat and even visit the little girls and boys rooms when needed which we did not get to do on Friday or Sunday! Sunday was a shorter day but no less busy! The Dallas, Texas crowd loves Amy Butler! We sold out of the Birdie Slings, patterns and kits! The Lotus Kit was super popular and the Lydia Dress pattern was gone on FRIDAY (just to name a few)!!







Most of all, we had such a wonderful time with the Quilt Guild members! Richard Larson (who is originally from Burkburnett!) is a Master Quilter Extraordinaire and stopped by our booth to say hello with his Mom, Joyce. These two are two of my favorite people! They are two of the most talented quilters I have ever met! Joyce won two ribbons! Richard quilted the raffle quilt which was an amazing Amish design but quilted on nearly every inch. I am still grieving over the fact that my $50 worth of tickets did not win it!! My goal in life is to have Richard quilt one of my quilts. He is an artist and one day, I will be able to afford him!




Richard visiting our booth!


Valerie Hubbard was this years show chair. She was a bundle of energy running around the show making sure everyone was doing alright. She had a beautiful Mum that she wore (Richard's design) to distinguish her as the Grand Dame! She was delightful and I can't wait to work with her next year as I believe she is heading up next year as well. We also got to meet the Best of Show Winner, Kelly Monroe. She is in charge of the Arlington show which we are so grateful to be vending at in May! Here is a picture of her with her winning work of art:








She was in our booth on Saturday evening and bought some fabric, this is what she did with it, THAT NIGHT!!




Pretty nifty! I wish I would have taken a picture of her jacket she was wearing on Friday. Amazing!




Along with the fabulous people, there were some amazing quilts! Here are a few of my favorites. I am sorry that I won't be able to give proper credit to the artists. If you see your quilt, and would like me to give you your due credit, email me and I will do so!

















These are just a few and I am exhausted so I will try and blog everyday this week so I can show you the cool people we met and the beautiful quilts we got to see. I had friends come visit and met so many new friends that I am looking forward to working with in the future! I have so much to tell you but the Guinness is going to my head so...GOODNIGHT!

HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY!!

2 comments:

BagZGirl Designs said...

Hey girl!
I loved your booth. It was so pretty and colorful.I know what you meant yeah ..home is just what we need after a long shopping day.I was this time a shopper not a seller and oh boy, I enjoy it!
xoxo
BagZgirl

Deborah Boschert said...

I loved meeting you at the Dallas show! Congratulations on the great show and your fantastic business. I was quite inspired by your innovative business plan, enthusiasm and creativity. Hooray for Navy wives! (I'm one myself.) Keep it up!