Monday, February 2, 2009

Happy Baby!!

Over the past few years, I've been seeing a trend among my friends having babies. They seem to be returning to the traditional, handmade toy. No lights, buzzing, whistles or electronic voices. Simple toys that stimulate a child's mind into activity. There is a great pattern out there that I happened upon while stalking Heather Bailey's blog and website. If you don't know who Heather Bailey is, (where have you been?) you need to. She is a smart, creative and yes, I'm going to say it, ADORABLE genius of an artist! I met Heather in Houston at Market although, I've been obsessed with her stuff long before that. (I am hoping to carry all of Heather's fabrics soon!) Since I haven't been given the okay from the big boss to invest in another designer yet, I decided to carry Heather's patterns since that's the next best thing I suppose.
(BLOG TANTRUM: "I will have her fabric, I will, I will!!", she cried while stomping her feet.)


This is the Happy Stacker. Now, while this was a fun pattern to put together, I would not suggest making this for just anyone. Make sure the person you make this for really appreciates the handmade aspects of this. A lot of this project is sewn by hand. I didn't mind that at all. I love sewing by hand. There is something calming and therapeutic about it (for me anyway). I have friends who actually hire me to hand bind their quilts for them because they hate it so much. I, on the other hand, love hand work!






Heather is a genius in the way she has written this pattern. I still don't get how it all worked out but if you follow the directions well, you will amaze yourself! Right up to the end, I was certain there was a mistake in the pattern. I was saying over and over, "How in the world is this going to turn out? This is impossible!" (Have I mentioned I am lacking in the patience department?) Well, it turned out and I was so proud of myself for sticking in there and finishing it. The directions are perfect! She speaks my language using words like "munched up rainbow" to describe what I should be seeing. She even gives a few words of encouragement at just the right time!

The best part was embellishing with the ribbon. I have a thing for ribbon. (Can't explain it and it is really quite disturbing while walking past a ribbon booth at shows. I lose all control. Yet another issue I probably need meds for.)






If you have a special baby in the family or one on the way, I highly recommend this pattern! It took approximately 3 days to complete and that was with grocery shopping, chores and even a horseback riding lesson thrown in there.
If you have any questions at all about this pattern, let me know! If you haven't tried it because you think it's too complicated, TRY IT! You will amaze yourself at your skills! The instructions are clear and as long as you don't mind sewing by hand, you will be blown away with your creation!
A HUGE thank you to Heather for an awesome pattern! (I can't wait to try the Fresh Picked Pincushions next!)

4 comments:

Heather said...

Fantastic job, Joy! And thank you for your kind review. I'm glad "munched up rainbow" helped!
xo--Heather

Anonymous said...

O.K. so I am your Aunt-but- AWESOME, you did a great job. And I love the colorful fabrics used. It is truly superb! Love you.

Marie said...

awesome job-it is SO cute. I don't have any babies to make it for, but it would look so pretty just sitting in my craft room...might give it a try! Thanks for sharing your review on it!

A Joyful Soul Fabrics said...

Hey! What about a huge pincushion! Works for me!