Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Am I CRAZY!!?

We are back from the Oklahoma City Winter Quilt and Embroidery Show. I have tons of pictures so please humor me and take a look!! It was SO much work but SO rewarding! This was our first "big" show and when I say big I mean there were about 70 vendors, Judy Neimeyer was there teaching, and I'm pretty sure we had upwards of 3,000 people in attendance all three days combined. All of this in my book equals BIG SHOW. We only had a 10' x 10' booth which we maximized with all things Amy Butler! We quickly realized that 10' x 10' is a very small space! The show producer was just the nicest person ever and let us spread out a bit so our customers could come into our booth without having to be surgically removed. I was pretty nervous about how our little business model would be received but I was so pleasantly surprised. It seems there aren't many people who pick a designer and specialize in that one person. I wasn't sure it was going to be enough to carry us but let me tell you! We were so busy, I could barely breathe! Mostly, I had a blast visiting with my fellow AB groupies! It was so funny seeing them when they noticed my booth.


Picture this:


Said groupie walks around the corner, she notices the rack of bolts from Amy's Midwest Modern 2 line, she slows down, confused at first because she has never seen so much Amy Butler in one place. She slowly looks up and sees a glowing booth full of Amy's fabrics and patterns. Birdie Slings hanging everywhere! The new Daisy Chain quilt hanging on one wall, Midwest Modern Quilt on the other. She slowly walks into my booth with a dazzling sparkle in her eye. She looks over at me and with a smile I let her know that I am A Joyful Soul Fabrics and I only carry Amy Butler fabrics, all of her patterns and other designers patterns that look great in her fabrics. Honestly, I was so tickled!! It made me feel normal, that I am not the only one that gets goose bumps when I look at these gorgeous fabrics and the creative flood gates are opened wide!


Woohoo! I love what I do!!


It really makes all of the hard work, run-ins with Oklahoma City's finest (honestly, where am I supposed to park a van with a U-haul trailer attached??) and the 4 nights in a truck stop hotel (the name had Hotel and Convention Center in it so who knew?? The pictures were gorgeous! Apparently, they only have one room that looks like that and it was already booked....how convenient.) I must be CRAZY to want to do this!! I almost feel like a traveling carny with all the craziness we encountered but honestly...it is so worth it! I had a wonderful time at the show! Everyone was so nice! The vendors, the customers, everyone! My mom flew out from San Diego to stay with Em while John and I ran the booth (that Navy Chief can sure sell some fabric). I had a bunch of friends drive over 100 miles to come see me! I met some of my customers who live in the area face to face which was AWESOME! I just have the best job in the world!

So, here are some pictures of our booth:




This was day three and I forgot lipstick!


That Weekender Travel Bag was finished a few days before we left. I had a ton of compliments. Thank goodness very few people asked to see it up close as the lining was still sitting on my sewing table at home!




Everyone loved my apron! I wish I would have come with more patterns but I sold out on Day 2!

Mine...my quilt! Love this! Finished sewing the binding on this one at 11PM the night before we left and the back of it is still pinned! (I actually received it from Russ that day, he was kind enough to overnight it to me. I just had to have it for the show!) My quilting group gets together tomorrow so I'll bring it to finish up!

The Pink Bliss Quilt was extremely popular!

My Ellie's! I had so many little people take these and walk around while petting the Minky ears!

Okay, thanks for looking! I am just so proud of our hard work and how many compliments we got on our booth! John has already drawn up our new and improved plans for our next show. I have taken the requests of my customers and am going to be kitting up the Abbey Bag as well as the Four Corners Apron Pattern. I'll be sewing more samples as well. The Swing Bag and the Nappy Bag are next and then the Sophia to match my Weekender Travel Bag! I'll be designing my own pattern for the 2.5" strips and 5" squares, it's swirling around in my head and will most likely make it's arrival at 2 in the morning so I'll be going to bed with my journal on the nightstand!

What do you think? Am I crazy??

1 comment:

TheBackPorchQuilters said...

Joy

I am so glad you had a blast at the Show

Russ