Thursday, November 20, 2008

Check This Out!!

While in Houston at Market, I happened by a really neat booth. It caught my attention because there were these little flower pincushions with attached bags hanging everywhere! Of course, a lot of them were made out of Amy's fabrics so that's why I stopped. The company is called Abbey Lane Quilts (www.abbeylanequilts.com). The designers/owners are Marcea Owen and Janice Liljenquist. I decided to pick up a few of these patterns at Market and they didn't last not one week in my store. I didn't even have a sample sewn up at a show and I sold 3 of them! Anyway, in preparation for Oklahoma City in January, I thought I'd go ahead and make one of these cuties to hold some candies at the register and help sell the patterns.
I was a little worried at first, I've never attempted a project like this before, but was so tickled when I finished it! Isn't it adorable!! Even my husband said we needed more!! The back of the pattern literally says, "ONE IS NEVER ENOUGH!" and they are so right!! I'm going to make more! All of my sewing friends will get one for Christmas this year!!



It takes very little fabric, just some fat quarters, 5" squares, 1/3 yard of muslin for the pincushion lining, 1/3 yard fusible fleece (I used Thermolam Plus) and some filling for the pincushion (I used crushed walnut shells). It went together in no time flat. You glue everything together so it's incredibly sturdy. I used Aleene's Platinum Bond Super Fabric glue (Wal-Mart). Be careful if you use this stuff. Open a window! Heavy fumes but it's a heck of a fabric glue! This will never come apart!
I'm off to make more of these things! I just wanted to share this with you and if you are looking for a quick handmade gift for a sewing friend...this is it!! You can find it in my store: www.ajoyfulsoulfabrics.com

4 comments:

Janice and Marcea said...

Thanks so much from Janice and Marcea, Abbey Lane Quilts. We love your sample and your kind words. The Abbey Bag is as fun and easy to make as you said. We hope your customers will enjoy them to.

p.s. candy in the sack, great idea next to the sewing machine, but where will we put our threads and scraps.

Julia said...

Where is the show in OKC?
Thanks,
Julia in OKC!

A Joyful Soul Fabrics said...

Threads and scraps?? Ooohh, is that what this is for?? Here I thought someone finally figured out where to put my "sewing Skittles"!! (Just kidding! I am using it to put my threads in and my husband appreciates it! He no longer has to sweep behind me! He thanks you very much!!)

JULIA- The Oklahoma City Winter Quilt Show is January 8-10, 2009 at the Cox Convention Center. Here is the link:
http://www.prairiequilt.com/okcwqs.html

There will be over 50 vendors! It is a big show and I am so excited to be there! If you like Amy Butler fabrics and awesome patterns to go with them, I hope to see you there!!

Julia said...

Thanks!
If I do get to come to the show I'll make sure to find your booth!
Julia